Another unplanned adventure between me and my friend Othelya Galaera (traveler). I’ve heard about the place from a fellow CSer, and they are suggesting to really try it. Never got to chance to ask them about their trip, so instead I decided to snoop around and DIY my trip. Asked my friend if she wanted to go 2 days before the trip, and she said yes, surprised because it so sudden, and that is the FUN part of an adventure.
Overview: Wawa Dam (also known as Montalban Dam) is a gravity dam constructed over the Marikina River in the municipality of Rodriguez in Rizal.The slightly arched dam is situated in the 360-metre (1,180 ft) high Montalban Gorge or Wawa Gorge, a water gap in the Sierra Madre Mountains. It was built in 1909 during the American colonial era to provide the water needs for Manila. It used to be the only source of water for Manila until Angat Dam was built and Wawa was abandoned.
Entrance arch going to Wawa Dam, you can see Mt. Pamitinan right in front of Tourism Center.
Pamitinan Cave (closed temporarily due to the construction of the hanging bridge)
Pathways leading to the dam
Scenic view, a lot of picturesque stops, almost every meter can be a unique shot. You can also see a mini waterfall, but going there seems impossible for hiking newbies like us, BIG boulders in between to reach it.
View from the side and other side of the dam, where there is a small community.
Panorama view of the dam on the right side and the gorge on the left
There are nipa huts available for rent during summer (P150 for the whole day). The water is emerald green and cold. The rocks are a little bit slippery so be careful. There are also mini sari-sari stores around the area, but only selling limited items. Videoke can also be rented if you are in the mood to show your singing prowess.
How to get there : from Fairview
- Take a jeepney in Litex going to Montalban: rate P20/pax about 45 mins travel time. go down at the jeepney terminal station in Montalban. ask them where you can take jeepney going to Wawa Dam.
- Take the jeepney going to Wawa dam, P10 about 15 mins, they will drop you in front of the tourism center of Mt.Pamitinan/Wawa dam. OR Ride a tricycle and tell the driver to drop you off at Wawa Village. (Fare is Php 20.00 per head)
- Walk, just follow the path or ask around. From the arch to the dam approx 10 mins but usually takes longer. (picture taking in almost every meter :o)
From Cubao :
- Take an FX going to Rodriguez Rizal (located in front of Jollibee Farmers) . rate: P50/pax , travel time about 1 hr. Go down at Montalban/Rodriguez terminal. Ask the driver where to take the jeepney going to Wawa Dam.
2. Take a jeepney going to Wawa Dam, P10/pax, about 15 mins. they will drop you in front of the tourism center of Mt.Pamitinan/Wawa dam. OR Ride a tricycle and tell the driver to drop you off at Wawa Village. (Fare is Php 20.00 per head)
3. Walk, just follow the path or ask around. From the arch to the dam approx 10 mins but usually takes longer. (picture taking in almost every meter :o)
Reminder : no clean toilets or shower area. the cleanest (but still just so so) is in the tourism center.
In every WALK with NATURE, one receives far more than he seeks. – John Muir